Tag Archives: Nigerian army

PDP Governors Say Nigeria Army Has Descended Into Criminality

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Governors Forum has blamed the Nigerian Military for the insecurity in the country.

The Forum in a statement issued by the chairman, the governor of Bayelsa state, Seriake Dickson on Monday condemned the killing of three policemen in Takum, Taraba state and a commercial motorcyclist in Abia state both last week by soldiers.

The statement said the Army has abandoned their constitutional responsibilities and descended into criminality.

The statement reads in part, “These killings have in recent times taken another gruesome dimension and this nonchalant attitude is not only wicked, malicious, unprofessional and cowardly; it is totally unacceptable to the people of this country.

“We wish to reiterate that the killings are unnecessary. It is very pathetic that the Nigerian Army would abandon their constitutional role of defending the borders of the country from external aggression to descend into such lowly criminality.

“It is sad that a security personnel, who is paid and maintained with tax-payers’ money, could turn around to kill the person he was paid to protect. The Forum calls on the federal government to redress the situation immediately, as this portrays signs of inefficiency and irresponsibility.

“We implore the federal government to adequately compensate the families of victims and ensure justice is served on the culprit”.

It would be recalled that a former Director of the Department of State Services (DSS), Mike Ejiofor earlier in May on Channels Television alleged that soldiers are behind kidnappings in the country.

See video

https://solakuti.com/2019/05/01/bombshell-serving-military-men-involved-in-kidnapping-former-dss-state-director-mike-ejiofor-video/

Advertisements

Army Fears Retaliation From Police For Killing of Officers, Directs Travelling Soldiers to Wear Mufti

Fearing retaliation for the killing of three police officers in Takum, Taraba state last week from members of the Nigerian Police Force, the Chief of Army Staff, Brig. Gen. Tukur Buratai has directed military personnel on Internal Security (IS) to wear mufti when travelling.

In a letter dated August 9,2019 titled, ‘Need for troops to be circumspect in dealing with members of the Nigeria Police’, marked AHQDAIOPS/G3/240/232 signed on behalf of the COAS by Brig. Gen. F. Omoigui, the COAS advised formations and unit commanders to educate their troops on the need to be cautious when dealing with members of the Police.

The letter reads, “In the aftermath of the unfortunate incident involving troops of 93 bn, Takum and members of the Intelligence Response Team of the NPF at Ibi LGA of Taraba State on August 6, 2019, inciting and inflammatory comments are being made by the NPF on the regular and social media platforms.

“This is capable of inciting the rank and file of the NP to exhibit aggressive tendencies against NA personnel. Accordingly, all troops on IS (Internal Security) duty as well as personnel travelling in and out of uniform are to be circumspect in their conduct to avoid escalation.”

“Consequently, formations and unit commanders are to educate troops to be cautious in their dealings with members of the NP in view of this development. Troops travelling on pass are to endeavor to do so in mufti”.

Group Wants Soldiers Involved in Killing of Policemen Prosecuted, Says Army Dancing Over the Graves of Fallen Officers

The Centre for Change Initiative has urged the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government to prosecute soldiers involved in the alleged killing of three policemen and a civilian.

The President of the group, Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin, made the call in a statement,said the soldiers should be prosecuted for murder to serve as deterrent to others.

The statement said, “The images of the savage killings which have gone viral are quite reminiscent of Boko Haram operations.

“It is surprising that instead of the army to be remorseful for the senseless killings that portray it as aiding criminality, it has engaged in dancing over the graves of the gallant officers, who were credited with successful anti-kidnap operations by calling them suspected kidnappers. We have not heard a word of condolence to the families of the killed policemen from the army.

“We reject any attempt to sweep this high crime under the carpet by setting up an investigation that will lure us into forgetfulness.We demand immediate identification of the officers involved and their prosecution for murder immediately.

“This is the only way to prove to the world that Nigeria has not become a total jungle. We pray for the souls of the officers and send our heartfelt condolences to their families.”

The police authorities last week announced that three police officers and a civilian were killed in an encounter with soldiers on the Ibi-Jalingo highway in Taraba on Aug. 6.

The army and police authorities have since constituted a joint investigation panel to probe the incident.

Nigeria Police Replies Nigerian Army, exposes lies in the Army’s defence, wants army to explain whereabouts of notorious kidnapping kingpin that was being transported by police.

In reply please quote
Ref No. CZ.5300/FPRD/FHQ/ABJ/VOL.2/69 Date: 8th August, 2019

The Director of News
…………………………….

PRESS RELEASE

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT – WHERE IS THE “RESCUED” NOTORIOUS KIDNAPPER, ALHAJI HAMISU BALA WADUME?

The attention of the Nigeria Police Force has been drawn to the Press Release by the Nigerian Army dated 07 August, 2019, seeking to justify the unprovoked and unwarranted murder of three (3) Police officers and one (1) Civilian, and serious injury to other operatives, who were on legitimate criminal investigation activities to Taraba State, to arrest one Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume indicted in a series of high-profile kidnap incidents in the State. In the best tradition of Esprit de Corps, Inter-Agency Harmony and National Interest, the Nigeria Police Force would naturally have kept quiet, but it has become imperative to set the record straight by addressing the obvious distortion of facts inherent in the Press Release by the Nigerian Army.

The most important question arising from the Nigerian Army Press Release is: Where is Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume? Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume is a millionaire kidnapper arrested by the Police but paradoxically treated as a ‘‘kidnap victim’’ by the Soldiers and subsequently ‘rescued’ by them. Where is he? Where is the rescued kidnapper?

Secondly, the Press Release was silent on the source of the alleged distress report or identity of the complainant, on the strength of whose report, the Army claimed had informed their decision to engage in the purported chase and rescue operation. Needless to state that in the true spirit of transparency and accountability, the Nigerian Army ought to have arrested the purported distress caller – if any – for obviously and deliberately furnishing them with false and misleading information. Besides, such arrest should in fact be made public!

Thirdly, it is not true that the Policemen failed to identify themselves as alleged in the Press Release. The video on the incident, now viral, wherein the voice of one of the soldiers was heard loudly proclaiming that the Policemen were from the Force Headquarters, Abuja speaks volume. Besides, the presence of the IRT personnel was well known to the Taraba Police Command as the Operatives officially and properly documented not only at the State Command Headquarters but also at the Wukari Area Command and the Ibi Divisional Headquarters. As a matter of fact, some of the Detectives from the Taraba State Command’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) were part of the operation.

The Force also considers it insensitive, disrespectful and unpatriotic for the Press Release by the Army to continue to describe Policemen on lawful National Assignment as ‘suspected kidnappers’ long after it had become crystal clear to the Army that these are Law Enforcement Officers who unfortunately were gruesomely murdered in the line of duty by Nigerian soldiers attached to 93 Battalion, Takum.

In the final analysis, we leave the Nigerian Army authorities to provide Nigerians with answers on the following questions emanating from their Press Release:
· Where is the notorious kidnapper, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume ‘rescued’ by the soldiers?
· How and why was Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume released by the soldiers?
· How could a kidnap suspect properly restrained with handcuffs by the Police escape from the hands of his military rescuers?
· If Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume is a ‘‘victim of kidnap’’ as claimed, and properly rescued by soldiers, why was he not taken to the Army Base for documentation purposes and debriefing in line with the Standard Operating Procedure in the Nigerian Army?
· Why were the Police Operatives shot at close range even after they had identified themselves as Police Officers on legitimate duty as evident in the video now in circulation?

DCP FRANK MBA
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FORCE HEADQUARTERS
ABUJA

Nigerian Army responds to police accusations, admits killing policemen who arrested kidnap kingpin in Taraba

PRESS RELEASE:

The attention of the Army Headquarters has been drawn to the Press Release by
DCP FRANK MBA
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER
FORCE HEADQUARTERS
ABUJA Ref No. CZ.5300/FPRD/FHQ/ABJ/VOL.2/68 Date: 7th August, 2019 on the unfortunate incident that occurred on the 6th of August 2019 in which troops of 93 Battalion Nigerian Army Takum pursued and exchanged fire with some suspected Kidnappers who indeed turned out to be an Intelligence Response Team from the Police Force Headquarters Abuja on a covert assignment from Abuja resulting in the death and injury of some members of the Team.

On the 6th of August 2019, the said Nigerian Army troops, while responding to a distressed call to rescue a kidnapped victim exchanged fire with the suspected kidnappers along Ibi-Wukari Road in Taraba State.

The suspected kidnappers numbering about ten (10) and driving in a white bus with Reg No LAGOS MUS 564 EU refused to stop when they were halted by troops at three consecutive check points. The flagrant refusal of the suspected kidnappers to stop at the three checkpoints prompted a hot pursuit of the fleeing suspects by the troops. It was in this process that the suspected kidnappers who were obviously armed opened fire at the troops sporadicaly thus prompting them to return fire.

In the resultant fire fight, four (4) suspects were shot and died on the spot while four (4) others sustained various degrees of gunshot wounds and 2 others reportedly missing. It was only after this avoidable outcome that one of the wounded suspects disclosed the fact that they were indeed Policemen dispatched from Nigerian Police, Force Headquarters, Abuja for a covert assignment.

However, following inquiries from a Police Station officer who was asked by the commander of the Army troops whether he was aware of any Nigerian Police team being dispatched to operate in the LGA, the Divisional Police Officer of Ibi Police Division responded that he was not informed about any operation by the Nigerian Police Force Headquarters thus lending credence to the distressed call from members of the community that the suspects who turned out to be Policemen on a covert mission were rather suspected kidnappers.

This incident is indeed quite unfortunate and could have been avoided through proper coordination and liaison as the Nigerian Police Force are partners in the fight against crimes such as kidnapping amongst myriads of other internal security threats confronting our nation of which the Nigerian Police is the lead Agency.

In order to avert future occurrences of this nature, the Army Headquarters and the Force Headquarters of the Nigerian Police have agreed to constitute a Joint lnvestigation Panel to be headed by the Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Criminal Investigation Department, DIG Mike Ogbizi, to jointly investigate and report on the true circumstances surrounding the unfortunate incident. Therefore, until the Joint Investigation Panel concludes and submits its report, it will be premature to officially conclude and speak on the real circumstances that caused this unfortunate but very avoidable unfortunate incident.

SAGIR MUSA
Colonel
Acting Director Army Public Relations
7 August 2019

Defence Headquarters Faults Wall Street Journal, Silent on Number of Soldiers Killed in the War on Terror

The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has denied a report by Wall Street Journal on the secret cemetery the Nigerian Army is allegedly running where soldiers killed in the war on terror were buried. 
The Defence Headquarters on Thursday in a statement issued by its Director of Information, Colonel Onyema Nwachuku, said the author of the report was uninformed. The statement however, was silent on the number of soldiers that have died in the war. 
See statement 
“The Defence Headquarters has noted with dismay an Online Article by “Wall Street Journal” purporting that the Nigerian Military maintains secret graveyards in the North East theatre of operation.
“This insinuation can only emanate from an uninformed position of the author of the said publication. It therefore becomes necessary to inform the public that the Armed Forces of Nigeria has a rich and solemn tradition for the interment of our fallen heroes.
“Therefore, it must be unambigously clarified that the Armed Forces of Nigeria does not indulge in secret burials, as it is sacrilegious and a profanity to extant ethos and traditions of the Nigerian military.
“In tandem with the traditions of the Armed Forces, Fallen heroes are duly honoured and paid the last respect in befitting military funeral of international standard, featuring funeral parade, grave site oration, solemn prayers for the repose of departed souls by Islamic and Christian clerics as well as gun salutes, aside other military funeral rites.
“The cemetery described in the publication, which is situated in Maimalari military Cantonment is an officially designated military cemetery for the Armed Forces of Nigeria in the North East theatre, with a Cenotaph erected in honour of our fallen heroes.
“The official cemetery has played host to several national and international dignitaries, where wreaths were laid in honour of the fallen heroes. It is therefore a far cry from the sacrilegious impression being painted by “Wall Street Journal”
“The Defence Headquarters therefore urges members of the Armed Forces and the general public to disregard such a misinformed publication and see it as a figment of the imagination of the writer, whose knowledge of military valued ethos and traditions is grossly misplaced.Thank you”.

Secret Burial of Soliders: Atiku Expresses Shock, Calls for Probe

The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in the 2019 general election, Atiku Abubakar has expressed shock over a report by Wall Street Journal about the secret burial of over one thousand soldiers killed in the war on terror. 

Atiku in a statement issued on Thursday called for a judicial inquiry to investigate the report of the US-based newspaper. 

The report published by Wall Street Journal on Wednesday gave an account of how the Nigerian Army hurriedly buried soldiers killed while fighting Boko Haram terrorists in the North Eastern part of the country.

See statement 

“On The Secret Burial of 1000 Soldiers Killed By Boko Haram/ISWAP: Nigerians Are Entitled to Know The Truth. 

“I read the report by the Wall Street Journal that over a thousand Nigerian soldiers have been secretly buried at night by the General Muhammadu Buhari led administration, in order to hide the true state of the war on terror, with a sense of heartbreak and shock. 

“Heartbreak for the families and friends of those soldiers who, if the report is true, have lost their loved ones, without being allowed to bury them or even to have any sense of closure as regards their fate.

“Shock, that such a thing could happen under a democracy, such as Nigeria is supposed to be. I shudder to think that the cover-up of such an event of epic proportions can be true.

“The men and women of our armed forces are our first, second and last defence against our domestic and foreign enemies and should be treated with love, respect, dignity and appreciation for the invaluable service they render to Nigeria. 

“I cannot fathom that in the space of a year, 1000 of these great patriots were killed and buried secretly without their families being told. I hesitate to believe that deceit on such a grand scale is even possible. 

“To ensure that we get to the bottom of this matter, I urge that a Judicial Commission of Inquiry headed by a non-partisan and reputable jurist, be inaugurated to investigate the findings of the Wall Street Journal. While this is occurring, I also strongly urge that a panel of inquiry comprising distinguished former military officers be set up to investigate and report to Nigerians the true state of the war on terror and what must be done to ensure Nigeria brings a speedy end to the ongoing insurgency.

“Nigeria must ensure prudent use of finances, so we can redistribute national resources in such a way that ensures that our military and security forces are well armed and well remunerated. 

“Even the death of one soldier affects me. But the alleged cover-up of the deaths of one thousand soldiers is a national emergency that should shock all statesmen and leaders of thoughts into action to save Nigeria.”