Kogi State Government has doubled down on attack on the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC), following the Agency’s declaration of two confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state last week.
The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Saka Audu, on Sunday in Lokoja said that the NCDC has a lot of explanations to do on the purported two positive cases it detected in the state.
“One needs not dig deeper to see the writing on the wall at how desperate NCDC is to nail Kogi with a COVID-19 case. There is no telling how low they are willing to stoop to do so.
“They claimed the patient was positive but hasn’t been taken to an isolation centre. As at this moment, he is still in the National Hospital. His son, who was also purported to be positive, was asked to go home! He remained with his father in the hospital running errands, going as far as Suleja, in Niger State. Who are we fooling?
“It should be mentioned also that the patient’s relation initially cried out to us to help evacuate them from the National Hospital, but on arriving there to evacuate them, and conduct a confirmatory test using a private molecular laboratory as well as Kogi State Rapid test kits, the patient eventually denied us the opportunity to get it done, citing fear of receiving punishment from the Federal Government. Being able to carry out this independent verification will have put to rest this matter once and for all” Audu said.
“Nigerians are in the know of the stand-off between Kogi State and NCDC that has been on for a while now, which is not unconnected with our stance to resist the ascription of fictitious confirmed cases of COVID-19 to our dear state to suit a preformed narrative we believe is the agenda of NCDC, which is to claim that every state in Nigeria has COVID-19.
“In the heat of this stand-off, we woke up one morning to hear that NCDC has recorded two cases of COVID-19 for Kogi. Your suspicion will be as good as ours, hence we set out to investigate the claim” he stated.