Leader of Nigeria’s junta, Muhammadu Buhari has nominated the immediate past Chief or Army Staff as an ambassador.
In a letter to the senate on Thursday, Buhari wrote:
“In accordance with section 171 (1), (2) (c) & sub-section (4) of 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended, I have the honour to forward for confirmation by the Senate, the under-listed five (5) names of nominees as Non-Career Ambassadors-Designate.”
The nominees are:
- Abayomi G. Olonisakin, retired general and former chief of defence staff;
- Tukur Y. Buratai, retired lt-gen and former chief of army staff
- Ibok-Ete Ibas, retired vice-admiral and former chief of naval staff
- Sadique Abubakar, retired air marshal and former chief of air staff
- Mohammed S. Usman, retired air vice marshal and former chief of defence
Buhari urged the senate to give “expeditious consideration” to the nominations.