The Economic Community of West African States has released a statement saying that the Malian military junta has agreed to a 12-month transition programme.
The military junta, had earlier insisted on a three-year programme.
Following pressures from ECOWAS leaders, the coupists conceeded to the formation of a civilian transitional government to run the affairs of the country for the next 12 months.
After an extraordinary summit via videoconference involving the heads of government; the ECOWAS Mediator, former President Goodluck Jonathan; and the Mali coupists, a statement titled ‘Declaration by ECOWAS Heads of State and Government on Mali,” was made public.
The summit was said to have considered the report of the mission by the ECOWAS mediator, which was held from August 22 to August 24, to assess the recent developments in Mali.
It called on the Malian military leadership to immediately begin the process for a civilian transition in consultation with the Constitutional Court and all relevant parties and stakeholders.
ECOWAS urged them to take into account the appointment of a transition president.
It said, “He/she should be a civilian and known for his/her professional qualities as well as intellectual and moral probity and shall be responsible for leading the transition.
“The transition president will not stand as a candidate in the next presidential election.”
The summit also took note of the decision of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to resign as stated by the mediator and also welcomed his release, as well as the other detained government officials.