The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Lagos State Chapter ably led by Engr Adedeji Doherty has adviced the Muhammadu Buhari led government to tread with caution and immediately withdraw the Army who have been deployed from the Barracks to oppress, intimidate and suppress the #EndSARS protesters.
The Lagos State PDP frowns at the use of the Army or any type of lethal weapons on the harmless protesting Youths nationwide.
It is the belief of the majority in our dear party that, true democracy is the government of the people, for the people and by the people, and as such the people have the right to protest.
We believe that government must subject it’s self to the yearnings of the people they govern and not vice versa.
It is worthy of note that, some of the reasons for the protest is the fact that the dividends of democracy elude the youths and their hope for a better future is therefore being shattered by the day.
Consequently they have decided to take the “Bull by the Horn” by way of a peacefully protest.
The turn of events as evident by the recent nationwide protests are clear indications that this government has failed the people, and in particular the Youths.
We hereby wish to advice Government as follows, that:
- The Military should be withdrawn from the streets immediately.
- Government should design modalities to peacefully engage the leaders of the protesters with a view to fashion out a timeline and template towards achieving the desires of the #EndSARS protesters.
- The leaders of the protest groups should resist as much as possible all forms of infiltration by hooligans and thugs, so that the laudable protest would not be given a bad image.
- The Youths should go about their protests in peace and with all civility, having it behind their minds that it is their fundamental human rights as entrenched in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) and the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) should intervene with a view to pushing the demands of the Youths to an amicable conclusion with Government.
Lagos State PDP supports these well coordinated, peaceful and well articulated protests.
We however pray and stress to government that, No Protesters blood or life should be shed or lost in this fundamental struggle. Amen
Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Long Live the People’s Democratic Party
Engr Adedeji Doherty
The Chairman People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Lagos State Chapter