Four siblings from the same family lost their lives when a building collapsed in the Agric Quarters within the Mgbemena axis of Coal Camp in Enugu. The Enugu Capital Territory Development Agency (ECTDA) confirmed this devastating news, shedding light on the grim details surrounding the tragedy.
ECTDA Chairman, Uche Anya, addressed the press on Saturday following an on-site inspection of the collapsed building. According to Mr. Anya, the ill-fated bungalow structure, situated in the Agric Quarters of Coal Camp, succumbed to the elements on Friday night at approximately 8 p.m., following heavy rainfall.
What adds a layer of distress to this incident is that the building had originally been approved for animal husbandry purposes but had been illicitly repurposed for residential use. Mr. Anya expressed his dismay at the condition of the structure, deeming it unfit for human habitation. It was revealed that this ill-fated building housed a staggering 44 rooms, accommodating around 200 residents.
In Mr. Anya’s words, “It was danger waiting to happen. The construction was irresponsible. The place should never have been occupied by human beings.” He went on to emphasize the blatant disregard for safety regulations, particularly noting the unacceptable fence line surrounding the property.
Regrettably, the victims of this tragic event were innocent children. Mr. Anya expressed his profound sorrow, stating, “The people we lost in that tragedy are innocent children, and it is very painful.”
In response to this catastrophe, the ECTDA has pledged to intensify public awareness campaigns, emphasizing the importance of residing in safe and conducive environments to prevent future occurrences of such unfortunate incidents. Under Mr. Anya’s leadership, the compliance unit of the agency will rigorously enforce adherence to approved building plans by landlords and contractors.
As a matter of immediate action, the ECTDA issued a quit notice to residents of the collapsed building and four other nearby structures, ensuring the safety of the affected residents remains paramount. This tragic incident serves as a somber reminder of the critical importance of adhering to building regulations and prioritizing safety above all else.