The tight-knit community of Oloibiri in Bayelsa State is grieving the loss of Mr. Claude Tonworio, a devoted father of six, after a tragic accident. On August 26th, as he was transferring his harvested farm produce from a canoe to his home, his Dane gun accidentally discharged, fatally wounding him.
Mr. Tonworio, a farmer, and hunter, had a gun slung over his shoulder while he engaged in his daily activities. The incident has left the Otobo family of Eguema and Ogbolobiri in Nembe Local Government Area in deep sorrow. In addition to his farming and hunting pursuits, Mr. Tonworio was a civil servant who frequently visited his family on weekends.
According to a family source, the community is still reeling from the shock of his sudden demise. She explained, “He must have slipped and fallen, causing the loaded gun to accidentally discharge, resulting in this tragic incident. It’s a heart-wrenching loss for the family, and there are now concerns about who will care for his six children.”
The local authorities have not received a formal report of the incident as of yet, according to SP Asinim Butswat, the state Police Public Relations Officer.
This unfortunate incident serves as a poignant reminder of the risks associated with firearms, even in the context of rural life and traditional practices. The entire community mourns the loss of Mr. Tonworio and extends its condolences to his grieving family.