There was more drama in Ibadan today, when the Oyo state deputy governor Raufu Olaniyan led a state government delegation to the 8 day prayer for former governor Abiola Ajimobi.
The deputy governor arrived but was prevented from going into the premises by security men who had been given an explicit instruction to deny the entourage entrance.
Despite entreaties from several people around the security officials insited they were simply acting on instructions.
The governor and the state delegation left the premises thoroughly embarassed.
The family in response to the allegations released a statement shortly afterwards:
There is the need to clarify the believed presence of the Deputy Governor of Oyo State, Engineer Rauf Olaniyan at the 8th day prayer of HE Senator Abiola Ajimobi, the immediate past Governor of Oyo State.
- The Deputy Governor arrived after the prayer had started.The event was strictly a family affair.
- There was a need to comply with the Covid-19 protocol as established by NCDC- Social distancing, not more than 30 people in a place and seats arranged, accordingly. After which the gate was shut.
- No one was aware that the Deputy Governor was coming as neither the advance team nor the protocol informed us.
- By the time we got to the gate to usher him into the sitting room, he had left. Everything happened within a spate of 10mins.
- Through a serving Senator and a former Attorney General we tried to get in touch with him that it was not to slight him and he could sit in a private sitting room provided by the family. Unfortunately, he had left. We however apologise to his Excellency.