Former governor of Lagos state, Akinwunmi Ambode has denied ownership of the banks accounts containing N9.9b allegedly linked to him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Ambode in a statement issued on Friday by his media aide, Habib Aruna, said the accounts in question belong to Lagos state government and has nothing to do with him. The former governor said there had been no communication with him and the EFCC since the press statement by the anti-graft agency on the issue on Tuesday which he described as misleading and it was necessary for him make clarifications to avoid misconception.
The statement reads in part, “Those accounts were opened in the course of normal operations by the Lagos State Government for its administrative purposes and not for the former governor’s personal transactions as was being wrongly insinuated and have been operated to ensure smooth operations of government activities by previous and present administrations. The former governor was not and will never be involved in any unauthorized use of government property and resources.
“We strongly believe that after four demanding years as Chief Executive of Lagos State, Mr. Ambode is entitled to some deserved rest with his family and loved ones without the unwarranted attacks on his well-earned reputation”.
A Federal High Court in Lagos had on Tuesday ordered the freezing of three bank accounts allegedly belonging to the Lagos State Government over an alleged N9.9bn fraud.
The accounts domiciled in First City Monument Bank, Access Bank and Zenith Bank are numbered 5617984012, 0060949275 and 1011691254, respectively.