An unnamed officer of the Nigerian Army has said that Nigeria has no clear plan to defeat Boko Haram insurgents in the north eastern part of the country.
The officer according to the CEO of Afriswiss Capital Assets Management Limited,Mr. Kalu Aja said the Army only reacts to attacks by Boko Haram insurgents.
Aja in a Facebook post on Wednesday said the unnamed officer told him that the Chadian Army are better trained than their Nigerian counterparts and makes best use of their resources in dealing with the insurgents. The officer according to Aja, said the Nigerian Army lacks leadership and direction making it impossible to have edge over Boko Haram.
“I had a discussion with an Army officer posted to the North East
“The young officer is tasked with protecting this nation from Boko Haram, he and his men could pay the ultimate price, this is why what he told me was important.
“Somethings said I knew, others I did not, let me itemize what he told me
- The Nigerian Army has no overall strategy to defeat Boko Haram He said there is no clear plan, just reactions.
- The Chief of Army staff deployed lots of hardware to protect his village Brutai, this deployment is similar to Maiduguri. The strategy seems to be to counter and hold Boko Haram
- The Chadian Army are better managers of equipment. He said the Chadian military has far older weapons but that they ensure everything is working. The task force they sent over is 100% mobile, but the Nigerian Army struggles to maintain Hilux Pickups talkless of modern tanks.
“He said the Chadians were suprised at the poor state of our army, that they doubted our ability to defeat Boko Haram, the said Chadians dont run from battle when Boko Haram attacks but that the Nigerians do.
- The bulk of Boko Haram Haram weapons are captured from the Nigerian Army. He said the NA will declare trucks or Artillery as unservicable but Boko Haram will capture same assets and get then to work.
- There are sufficient arms delivered to the NA. He said before he got to his post he read about “lack of arms” but found out that was not true….the army had lots of arms but did not know how to maintain or deploy them
- There is zero air cover. I asked him about the attack helicopters, he said they were grounded. He said Nigerian Army preferred the Niger Airforce (not Nigerian) and Chadian Airforce to conduct close strike Air to Surface operations because the have better and dedicated ground attack planes like the Sukhoi flown by Eastern Europeans.
- He said the recruits coming out of training to join the Nigerian Army are sub par training and standards have really fallen.
- Many Forward Operations Bases have been overan by Boko Haram. The Nigerian Army has been forced to destroy their own equipment as they flee, including our modern T72 tanks
- He says money or even equipment is not the problem, he says there is no leadership of purpose and that many military men are “breaking protocol” just to survive
“I think we get the picture. I am just posting this with the hope that something good will come out of this.
“Boko Haram has exposed Nigeria.
“Please pray for all our soldiers fighting Boko 3.”