Chinese tech giant, Huawei has reacted to Google’s new restrictions on the use of the Android mobile operating system for its smartphones.
The company in a statement on Monday assured its customer base that it will continue to provide security updates and after-sales support to its existing lineup of smartphones. However,the statement was silent on whether existing customers will continue to receive Android software updates and if future phones will ship with the current Android operating system or something else.
“Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.
Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products covering those have been sold or still in stock globally. We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally.”
In addition, the company said it plans to launch the Honor 20 as planned. The device is set to be unveiled at an event in London tomorrow. While Honor is a sub-brand, any sanctions levied on Huawei will likely be reflected in its business, too.
Huawei was last week added to the “Entity List” by the Trump’s administration meaning that the company will no longer acquire technology from US firms without government approval.
Google said the new restrictions it placed on the Chinese firm’s smartphones at the weekend was in compliance to that order. The move also saw US chipmakers, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom halting supplies of chips to Huawei.
Huawei was accused of using its telecoms equipment to spy for China by western countries led by the US.